/ case study

Vodafone

During my time at Vodafone I spent a lot of it working on innovative products and services that would reshape the state of mobile payments, user-centered portals, IoT solutions or other fun projects.

Over 5 years spent at Vodafone, I managed to work on solutions like Vodafone 360, Vodafone Contacts, Vodafone Music, Vodafone Protect or Vodafone Webbox.

Insights

But one of my favourite projects was the Good Morning app.The idea behind is to have an alarm application that donates money (to a selected campaign) for each time you snooze, while keeping the donation to maximum amount of 3 euro/month.

Although the idea of donating sounds nice and is beneficial, what is challenging is to keep delivering a good experience for our users - since the main scope of the application is to set and trigger alarms.


Research

What is really important, before sketching, is the journey the user will take. As this will be a product with a recurring payment, it should be highlighted accordingly and offer a smooth transition - so that the users empathize with the reasons behind the payment.

After getting the full picture of the upcoming challenges, I started researching the market to see if there are similar services out there or in general charity products/services.

As soon as I had my list and highlighted some nice ideas, I switched to making a bit of research on patterns and good practices. I also ran a couple of interviews with people using different alarm applications and settings in order to get a deeper understanding of their behaviour.


Iterations

Based on the results I started sketching the concept (low fidelity prototype) for the application.

As soon as the concept got closer to a final proposal, I started working on validating the idea. With the first design draft, I started putting together a prototype in InVision.

We found some general problems while testing for usability problems such as:

  • Selecting the hour:
    Users find it difficult selecting the hour as the visual indicators were leading to a scroll gesture while the required action was a tap (to trigger the Android native behavior).
  • Selecting the campaign: Users were confused of how to select a campaign to donate for.
  • Time pressure: Completing all the steps was taking too much time, which could have lead to a bad first user experience.

Based on the feedback, I reiterated the flow and the mandatory elements, creating a more simplified version which responded much better in the tests. We moved forward with crafting the final user interface and putting together a native prototype.


Design

When designing the user interface I had to comply to the company's branding guidelines and make use of the color palette and elements provided.

I designed the interface making it simple and intuitive, while following the latest guidelines from Android. I tried to make the setup as easy as possible, leaving just 3 steps for the entire setup, including the onboarding.

For the main screen of the app, the "snoozer" I went through several iterations upon deciding to build it this way. A white screen, with a clean typography while the main CTA has enough contrast - making it easy to use, even for the sleepiest people in the world.

charity

Testing

As you can imagine, testing this product could only be done in special conditions, so the early iterations were mainly focused on the usability of the setup/onboarding, while for the beta testing we looked on how often people actually achieved their goals.


Conclusion

Working on an alarm application proved quite interesting maybe even more then I expected initially. Although it's not a complicated product, it does take you on different usability challenges. This is maybe the reason why I care so much about this project.